Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Where Religion Went Wrong - 2 - A Note About Names


Throughout this book, you will see me use the names YHWH and Yeshua.

Some have expressed concern that those who use these names are intending to “preach another Jesus” or another gospel. This isn’t true.

 YHWH (or YHVH) is known as the Tetragrammaton. It is the Name of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It consists of 4 Hebrew letters – י) Yod), ה) Hey), ו) Vav), ה) Hey). There is quite a bit of debate on its proper pronunciation. Some say Yah-Wey, some Ye-Ho-Vah, and some Ye-Hu-Ah. I am not an expert and cannot attest as to who is right. However, I’m sure YHWH will straighten it all out eventually. As for now, however, many of us (including myself) view using His Name as a simple way to honor Him. If you are concerned about proper pronunciation, you may choose to say Yah, which is the poetic form of His Name, and (so far as I know) isn’t debated. In fact, you already use it every time you say, “Hallelu-Yah!”

Likewise Yeshua is Jesus’ Hebrew name. We should know that His mother did not call Him by the Je-sus pronunciation of today. They were Jews living 2000 years ago. They spoke Hebrew, and His given Name was Yeshua. In fact, I believe the movie The Passion of the Christ probably shows us this best. It is recorded in Aramaic (a sister language to Hebrew), and that pronunciation (Yay-Shwa) of His Name is likely most accurate. However, it is usually pronounced Ye-Shoo-Ah today. Again, we use this Name as a way to Honor Him.

 Both of these Names are consistent with scripture in its original form before translation.

ישוע Yeshua

יהוה YHWH / YHVH 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your replies and input. I'd love to have you join the conversation!

Join Me At My New Address!!!

Good evening, all! In an effort to establish myself as a new author and promote my recently published book, The Little Seed, I have moved ...